Well after 2 weeks of intense research and lots of thinking, Skip and I decided Yoshi would benefit from a raw diet. He's never adjusted to kibble and it was starting to feel like a waste of money as we watched his food come out the other end the same color as it went in. Yea gross I know, but try picking it up.
We about ran out of kibble last nite and decided today was the day to do it! So it is recommended to start with whole chickens as it is nutritionally sound all by itself and takes the guess work out for beginners. Has the right amount of meat, bones an organs. It's also a great beginner protein source and gets their insides running the way nature intended. Dogs and cats have a much shorter intestinal track than humans so salmonella is not something we need to worry about our pets getting, they digest too fast for it to be an issue.
We gave Yoshi the chicken back first so we could see what he would so and have less risk of him choking should he freak and swallow it whole without grinding the bones. He grabbed it and ran! We thought for a minute he was actually going to take down whole, but he sat down and started chewing it. Then we gave him a breast quarter; he chewed and ate that like it was second nature. So awesome to watch. Just seeing it made us feel like that's how it's supposed to be.
Yoshi ate his meal and I was happy to see he wasn't all bloated and uncomfortable looking like he usually is after eating dog food. He had no gas and so far no poop. Super. He had a thigh/leg quarter for dinner and chowed that like a champ too! I almost couldn't get him to sit before I gave it to him because he was so excited. He's a clean eater too. Doesn't get it all over him and used the ground at leverage when he was eating it.
I feel so good about this decision. Next is research on raw diet for the cat. She can't the big ol chicken bones, so I need to see what other people are doing.
2 comments:
Okay, so what about the whole never giving a dog a chicken bone? Is that mainly due to them being cooked and more brittle?
Yea cooking the bones make them splinter. Raw bones crumble and they stay digestible.
Post a Comment