Questioning a physician’s advice or recommendations was perceived by participants as a challenge to authority that most wanted to avoid, for fear of “displeasing” or “disappointing” their physician.Since when did a physician become a person of authority? And more important what are they in control of? Your body? Last time I checked I was the person in control of my body. Why on earth would we view our doctors like this and what can we do to stop this? Why are we so intimidated to say something if we don't understand the treatment or if we really want to decline it? I have a bit of a theory about it.
Autonomy: a principle of medical ethics according to which a person should respect the rights of other individuals to freely determine their own choices and decisions.
For most of us we are brought up knowing our bodies belong to us. It is up to us to share it with someone special. No one is allowed to touch you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable, right? No one EXCEPT the doctor, that is. That one single "rule" about personal touching completely throws out one's right to autonomy. That is very scary as a child. I remember this very conversation with my mom. At 14 I was having horrible periods and one time the pain and bleeding was so crippling she took me to the ER where I was then told I would have a PAP done. I was not asked, I was not warned by the doctor that he was touching me. No, I was just laid back, put into stirrups and had the most horrifying procedure done to me that I could ever imagine and that was A OK! It was a doctor, they have the right. Period.
When was the last time you were at a doctor and they asked you for permission to put their hands on your body? I don't care what part, you ear, a leg or an arm. Were you asked or did they just go ahead? Would you have allowed someone from the street do this to you? What is your response when someone touches you or your child without invitation? It can be pretty violating, can it not? Leaves you feeling uneasy. Maybe your child has a moment of confusion or panic.
My midwife ASKED me before she put her hands on me, EVERY TIME. It didn't matter what she was touching, my leg, my arm or my belly. She waited for me to give her permission to be in contact with my body. She gave me the control. I was never afraid of her. Never afraid to ask questions. Not afraid to disagree if I ever thought I needed to. Not once. I am thankful for that experience. When a doctor doesn't ask, they TAKE from you. They take your control. They become the power over your body and that makes it harder to question what is being done.
This must stop. In all practices, family, pediatrics, OB/GYN, you name it. It must stop. If your child is too young to speak for themselves the doctor should be asking you for permission. I can think back to a case a couple years ago of a pediatric doctor charged with many counts of child molestation and rape. Those kids were probably also taught that is was okay for a doctor to touch them, but only the doctor.
Teach your kids that NO ONE, not even a doctor may touch them without permission. Period. You should also start taking back control on the office by asking your doctor to acquire permission before touching you in anyway. The doctor/patient relationship should be one of mutual respect. It cannot be so if you are not being respected in this way. I believe this is the only way to become empowered in making your medical decisions with you doctor. It is also the best way for your doctor to gain respect for your body and what you are ok with doing to it. Period.
We all have a right to autonomy, demand it. Your doctor is absolutely not a figure of authority. They are a health mentor. There to help monitor your health and that of your family. They are supposed to give you information so you can make an educated and FULLY informed decision based on what they tell you. You should not be told what to do, rather included in a treatment plan. No matter how minor it is.
2 comments:
I don't personally have a problem with the doctors touching and poking and prodding. I expect it, altho that might be a bit different for my child. Hard to say, we never go to the Dr's. I also simply view it much as I view call control. When a CS rep or a tech is on the phone, one simply must have control of the call to get things moving like it should. Much the same for a Dr when he/she says "I'm going to feel x"
But as for the obeying whatever the doctor says? Not hardly! I have found that for several things I have had a greater knowledge of my ailment than the doctor. I am not saying that about every time I have gone to the doctor, but enough times that I don't blindly trust them. And after all they are simply human and cannot possibly know everything about every disease/illness/injury etc. And since they are not infallible I will not depend upon them as if they were
I think it's a little easier for men to not feel like someone like a doctor is in place of authority. I think women are more vulnerable to this, especially if their doctor is male.
Post a Comment