Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Weekend Retreat

Well the family got a wonderful treat this past weekend.  An all expenses paid weekend in Breckenridge, Colorado at the Beaver Run Resort. Skip's unit was hosting a marriage retreat and we got booked off the waiting list.  Totally awesome.

The drive up there is simply beautiful.  All the fall colors are starting to show and 3 hours of that was totally worth it! We got there and pretty much expected a room with a couple beds, but boy were we surprised when we walked into this:



700 square feet of total amazing!! We had a living room, dining area, fully equipped kitchen, full bath and a room with a queen and twin bed.  Also a wood burning fireplace and balcony.   Seriously, this room was bigger than my first apartment!   The view was great!


We did have to spend some time going to a marriage class that used The Five Love Languages as it's base, but it really wasn't bad.  Skip and I scored exactly the same as far as how we speak love, which I expected anyways, but it was really the other people that made me realize how good we are.  I think we were the only ones that didn't sign up for individual counseling with the Chaplin. The amount of hate and discontent I heard coming from the women was out of this world.  The amount of complaining about a totally free trip was just sad. 

Skip and I also realized that while having kids is certainly a lot of work and it does take time from one on one activities, we have built them into our marriage.  While Fiona did not spend any time in the provided day care services, Aiden did want to go play with the other kids and we reluctantly let him go. I was almost sad for the kids who's parents were all to happy to get rid of them. I am thankful we have found ways to stay close to each other with the demands of children 24/7.  I feel like that is nothing short of a huge accomplishment in today's world of disliking children.  

The weekend was fab.  We watched some TV(a luxury we do not pay for at home), cooked for each other and just enjoyed the time away and the time to really see what we actually have with each other.  We came home a new found appreciation for the times we do argue knowing its rare.  We love our kids, we love how included they are and we love that we are satisfied with the time we get together.  Nothing is really worth complaining about or hating your spouse over.  




0 comments: