Since the time I was able to make a decision on what I really felt about social issues I have always believed that being gay wasn't really a choice made by the individual. It was something that just happened. They woke up and found themselves attracted to the same sex. I've found this to be a true statement made by many gays I have been friends with, been acquainted with or have had the discussion with. Male or female. It's just not something they can explain. Some of those people have been with the opposite sex and were unhappy the whole time because "it didn't feel right". I have also known gays that seem to not have any idea as to why they are gay. They can't explain their reasons or desires and they tend to be pretty extreme when it comes to announcing themselves. This is a personal observation they may differ from your own.
Those two situations are what stems the debate of "Is it genetic or is it social". Is there such a thing as a social gay and are they really born with an abnormality in their genes that makes them seek the same sex? I found this article by Live Science that touches on some research done on genes of women who had at least 2 gay sons. It's essentially a step in the direction of showing there is an actual abnormality that can cause a person to be gay. I have also read a few articles on studies done with twins. Identical twins were more likely to both be homosexual vs fraternal twins. Then there are people like Sheryl Swoops who come out and say they made the choice to be gay. Not because they felt they were helplessly attracted to the same sex. In her case she just happened to fall in love with another women and that's how it ended up for her.
I don't think there is yet enough research to say 100% that being gay is a genetic issue, but I do believe that day is coming. What's going to lag is the research that says being gay is also a cultural issue. There's never going to be a study done on being gay because it's the "IN" thing to do right now. And I do believe being gay is in. And not just the "I'm gay" but the "I'm gay, look at me act like a dumb ass in public because I am gay and I say it's ok or I am gonna say you are being unfair" type of gays that seem to be emerging at alarming rates. I see it everyday now and I am just baffled by it.
I believe our media makes gays into heroes and portrays it as normal. I think it makes it easier for people to get on the bandwagon so to speak. At this time it can be considered a fad, like the most recent style. Gay is a style right now. It's in , it's hip, it's controversial. What self attention seeking person who likes extremes wouldn't consider wearing the outfit for a while? It's a great way to get looked at in public and its a great way to get sympathy. It's a great way to get people talking about YOU. What's sad is the "social gays" are giving the real honest gays a bad wrap.
Next time you are having an outing really take a look around you. Next time you watch TV , can see the media glorifying the lifestyle? Next time you talk to a gay friend, ask them. Engage in that conversation and find out for yourself. I think the social lifestyle that is being led has the potential to become a dangerous one in our country, not only for the health of our upcoming generations, but for our overall well being and prosperity.
0 comments:
Post a Comment