Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Social Networking, where does it cross the line?

I am extremely picky about the people I choose to keep on my Facebook page. Most are all good friends from back home and it gives me a way to stay connected on a daily basis through small talk, games and photos.  It's a wonderful thing when we don't always have the time to pick up a phone.  I have 46 friends on that page, and I think like 3 of them I don't actually know and use for games.  Those are set up in my privacy settings to not see my personal wall posts.  I have over time removed "friends" for being over the top with their posts and detailing too much personal information to the world.  I feel like the personal details of ones life should be left for personal blogging or messaging.  Perhaps I am just prudy like that.

I do not care to see messages of hate spewed all over my wall. I do not like to see gory details of personal happenings.  I cannot stand to see people criticize their spouses in negative ways.   I think it is very inappropriate.   At some point we threw out our ability to know what is personal and what is not.  Now every aspect of our lives are played out on social networking sites without second thoughts.

I think it is important to value your privacy as well as the privacy of your family during certain events.   I understand that we all need support during times in our lives and that is why we are a social creature.  I have written about personal things here in this blog, but I know that only my closest friends tend to read this, but this also a safe place for me to write my feelings and experiences, this blog is a personal hobby.  There are plenty of personal things I have not put here, and plenty of things I have put here without spewing all the gory details.

So the next time you open your FB page and go to write something, make sure you aren't betraying yourself or your family.   Make sure it is written in good taste and that is doesn't relay messages of hate or hurt.  I still want to see your pictures, I still want to know where you went shopping. I still want to be able to give words of encouragement when you are having a bad day.   If you think your page is being poisoned by those around you, delete them.  It's worth it.

0 comments: