Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

I am almost too tired and full to type this, but here it goes anyways.


I had a very early start to my day. The original plan was to get up at noon to pick up Aiden from Fountain. Gotta share the kid. So I of course did not go to bed until 6am. I stayed up to play Warcraft and talk to Skip. Well I no sooner get my eyes closed and the phone starts ringing. I ignore it thinking its a dream. Then the voicemail tone goes. Grabbed the phone from the floor, notice Christa has called and I press 1 for voicemail. She's informing me that the whole house has the flu and I need to come get Aiden. DAMN. I grab a shower and head to Fountain. I've had 2 hours of sleep...maybe.


So I go to Mom's house earlier than planned. Which is OK. I had to fry turkeys. That was a fun thing. It took more than an hour to get the oil heated up and her friend, Lisa, had brought her turkey for me to fry. We certainly were way of schedule due to the whole oil mess. But we got her done. Mom got 2 small turkeys. I dunno why, but I have almost a WHOLE bird in the fridge and another quarter in my belly.


Well first turkey done and its dinner time, at 5. Sheesh. That's late. No time to snack all day. It was a traditional "Craig" Thanksgiving. I say "Craig" because this, like all others, are always the same as the holidays I remember as a child. Mom getting mad cause she cant cut the bone of the bird and nothing working the way she wants it. My brother sitting there looking like he's totally miserable and me telling Mom to just calm down, nothing is going wrong. Its always a good time. It is truly more like a big dinner, not really a holiday. The TV was on. Some stuff about polar bears and seals. We all ate in silence for a while before Mom and Patrick talked about their jobs. Super.


Its now 6pm. I have to fry the other turkey. I went back to the garage to turn the flame back on and got the thing ready. Now keep in mind the fryer should be supervised at all times. With 2 hours of sleep and full tummy I sit down in a camping chair in my mom's garage with the space heater pointed right at me and I took a nap. No worries nothing bad happened. I had already done two. I know how it was gonna react. I am glad someone came out to check on me or I may have missed the damn timer!!

The best part of the day was the saying good bye. Not because we wanted to go, but because of my wonderful boy. I told Aiden to say by to his Uncle Chris and he says,"Bye Jack Ass" . Yes, my boy is wonderful.


0 comments: