Monday, January 19, 2009

Mother F'n Fish Tank

So we all know how I love my fish tank and the hell it's put me thru a number of times. Well I can say the last 6-8 months Ive been a bit distant from it. Doing only the minimum to keep it well. Well a lot of that has been due to malfunctioning equipment and what not. Issues with the lights and problems with filtering junk, mainly the skimmer. Well I was lucky enough to be offered a brand new skimmer for a fraction of what it actually costs by Nancy. I guess it was just sitting around. So I went today and picked it. Seeing her husbands tank gave me a new interest in mine and I have plans again to make it better. But first let me tell you about my damn adventure tonite.

The easy part was pulling out the old skimmer and chuckin it into the trash. I think my neighbors might have thought I was tossing my bong out. It looks a lot like one. Lets see try to smoke outta that thing. LOL. But anyways, I start pulling all the stuff for the new skimmer out of the box. It has like a billion pieces to start. I had to actually read instructions to put it together. Sheesh. The n I have to completely redo my sump set up to fit it in there. What a damn nightmare. I feel like I may have gone swimming in the ocean today, that's how much salt water I have all over me and the carpet. I got it in there and plugged it in. No bubbles. I'm looking at every last connection I can and I see no reason why I have no bubbles. I unplug it and take it out. More water. Aiden at this point joins in the fun and gets his hands in the sump himself. I'm too wet to even care. They were clean. So anyways I pull the whole thing apart, remember the million pieces here, put it back together and try again. More water from having to get it back in the sump. I plug it in. BUBBLES!! I realize after I had done this that if I had checked the input of the pump and noticed it wasn't fully connected(D'oh) I wouldn't have had to pull it out and start all over. Man!! But its BEAUTIFUL and working better than the first one ever did. So happy.

This now brings me to the new plans for the tank. I have to pick up one new bulb, which I intend to do tomorrow. That will make everything much happier. It needs more sunlite. I have been wondering what to do with my old 20 gallon tank and I finally know now. I am going to make it into a new sump. Its much longer than the one I have know and more shallow. This is gonna make it much easier to do maintenance on the darn thing. I figure I will get the design done on that in April.. I will need some plexie glass and stiff to make chambers in it. More water changes are in place for it. Get the coral growth jump started and start adding new. Its been forever since I added my last piece. I'm so happy I finally got this desire kicked back into gear. Its been so long since I cared.

So yay. Look forward to posting pics of it soon, when its picture worthy again!!!!

0 comments: