Monday, August 9, 2010

Getting Rid of Junk to be Happier

I was sitting at work today counting down the minutes to close and I found THIS ARTICLE on yahoo about a couple that got rid of most of their belongings, right down to their cars and are happier.  I found it to be an interesting concept. I believe I am going to follow.  Maybe not as extreme as she did.  She owns only 100 personal items including her toiletries!

When I first met Skip he owned 1 plate, 1 bowl, 1 fork, 1 knife and 1 spoon.  He had a coffee maker and a single set of pots and pans.  I am not kidding.  He had a computer desk, a chair, a small table with a lamp and a TV with a DVD player hooked up. He was sleeping on an air mattress and there was nothing on his walls.  He did get the futon when I came around, but that was as far as it went.  I bought him a coffee cup because he was using Styrofoam and we all know how bad that junk is.  It pretty much echoed in his place.  I did a lot of picking on him about it.

Then he left and my mom brought all my stuff to the apartment and I HATED IT!! I wrote him a few emails announcing my displeasure, but I unpacked all the dust collecting stuff and set up shop.  I left a bunch of stuff packed and took back to Mom's house for storage.  All that stuff has since followed me here, including the stuff I sent to be stored.  I have boxes that haven't been opened and unpacked since we got here.  I think it is safe to say I can live without all that stuff.

So this week I am going to start the cleaning.  I will probably toss a lot of stuff, but I am going to load the big stuff up and donate it to Good Will.  I don't have the energy or patience to do a yard sell.  I am not hard up for money so I really couldn't care less about making anything off it.  I just want it gone.

Off to clean the desks, I need to make room for the gecko cage.

0 comments: