I ended up being without power here at home for 16 hours. Spent about 4 or 5 of that with no cell phone service either. We had a line of very powerful and dangerous storms blast through the area at about 4pm. I got caught unexpectedly in it driving home from work. My car was blasted with winds that were in excess of 100MPH. Rain caused me to pull over at least 4 times because visibility was less than zero and my car was hit multiple times by large tree parts. Thank-goodness the Kia is made of plastic or I would be making an insurance claim today. I may still be able to make one because I also got nailed by rocks and dirt. My windshield is probably pitted something fierce. At one point on the drive emergency services forced us all off the roads and we were not permitted to move for more than 20 minutes. That was fine with me. I don't even think I have driven in a snow storm that scared me as bad as yesterdays drive home. There was a semi that was completely turned over. Punctures in the trailer and the cab was twisted to shreds. I hope the driver made it out alive.
There were multiple lightening strikes in the area and plenty of downed trees. I have at least 4 neighbors that lost their fences. There was a trampoline that was lifted over a 6 foot fence and tossed into the support pole and lines of a power line. Our neighbors not only lost their fence, but also parts of their roof and last check they were still hunting for patio furniture.
Taken with my phone
I did get to lay in my driveway and stare at the sky without any light pollution. It was beautiful. I went in at about 11 and took a shower and then laid in bed listening to crickets and frogs. A neighbor was playing some old blues music and I feel asleep pretty easy, even in the heat.
1 comments:
Glad you are okay!
I hear that we get some storms like that from time to time. Pineapple express is what they are usually called. haven't been thru one yet tho
Post a Comment