Friday, April 22, 2011

Trashy

First off let me say this post is probably going to sound very judgmental and I may sound stuck up or too good for my own shoes.  But I am going to call things as I see them.

I attended my first Army Ball last nite.  It was the welcome home ball for the 601st Combat Aviation Brigade.  They have been gone on a year long deployment and finished returning last month.  I have never been to a formal event, but it is my understanding that being formal means looking like a respectable lady.  After all our men are in their best uniforms for the evening, bow tie and all.  Skip and I picked my dress in February, yes I said SKIP AND I.  I very much appreciated  his input on the different dresses I picked and tried on.  We decided on a floor length, dark blue dress with some sparkle sewn on to the bodice.  It was strapless, but had a short coat.  The girls were WELL covered and not overflowing out the top. I had no intention of standing out, simply looking nice next to Skip.

All that being said, I fully expected to be under dressed.  I did get my hair done yesterday. I had a new set of earrings, a necklace and bracelet.  Oh and I had a nice head band worked into my hair.  When we got to the hotel the ball was being held at I was immediately floored.  The few girls in the parking lot were simply eye ball spectacles.  Very immodest and in dresses that simply did nothing for their body type.  One woman was in a hot pink, clingy, strapless dress and she probably weighed 300lbs.  I am not trying to say anything about size here, but there are just some things you don't where when you are super big or even super small for that matter.  It's about practicing good judgement.

When we got in I was amazed by the amount of skin I saw and the all the tattoos on these women.  I am not even talking girly tattoos.  There were girls who had their arms, backs, hands, necks, breasts and any other small piece of skin they could have possibly showed covered in ugliness.  I would say more than half didn't bother to have their hair done.  More than half had ill fitted dresses.  Some had on dresses that one would wear to a cocktail party, not a formal event. I almost felt out of place, but I soon realized I at least wasn't going to be a laughing stock and was more than likely one the best dressed there.  Even the wives of the heads of the unit appeared to have put in very little effort.

We did get seated with 4 other men and their dates for dinner.  I was the only one NOT texting through dinner.  My phone wasn't on the table vibrating.  It was sad really that no one could just take the time to disconnect from the world for just a few hours.  Skip and I were pretty quiet.  Most of the conversation was nothing we could relate to. Skip was the oldest at the table and I am aged beyond my actual years anyways.  There is no way I could hang out with any of those girls and feel like I got anything out of it.

My concluding thought on the whole thing was,  most of the women dressed and conducted themselves little better than trash.  This was a formal event to welcome back service members that just spent a year away from home and their families. I felt like most of these girls, through the way they dressed and acted, showed little to no respect, gratitude or pride in what the unit did.  It should not be ok to any man to let his wife, fiancée, girlfriend sister or whatever walk into such an event looking like last weeks garbage.  It's disrespectful and should be considered a slap in the face.

0 comments: