Sunday, May 1, 2011

Week 3 Check In

Well we are just one week away from completing our 4 week challenge!  Skip has really done well in this. We have decided based on what we have experienced so far, that we are going to continue to eat grain free.  We are both feeling better and we have more energy.

Skip has lost another 2lbs this week, 1/4 of an inch and dropped his fasting glucose 14 points! It's been very helpful for him to see the numbers written down every week because he has solid proof he is getting somewhere.   He is not complaining much about not being able to eat brad or drink soda anymore.  We had the ultimate test when we went out to eat for the first time yesterday. He ordered a tea, soup and salad and left the crutons on the plate...willingly.

As for me, due to some personal matters, I will no longer be tracking how much weight I lost. I will however continue to track my fasting glucose. It was up 17 points this week.  YIKES.   The only thing I can think of is I ate a bit of white chocolate before bed last nite and was up early this morning testing so it may not have been a full 8 hours.  I will try again tomorrow.


Aiden is thriving.  We have seen an increased appetite as well as willingness to eat things he didn't like before. That alone makes me happy!

3 comments:

OffTheCuff said...

I spend hours of day dealing with diabetes, in my 8-year old son. He is type 1, but the following is true no matter what type you are:

Home BG meters have a 20% variation. Take two readings from the same blood drop, or two different drops from different fingers to see what I mean. You'll be surprised.

Second, your BG moves around minute by minute, because your energy needs always change - so what you might see could be a transitory blip. You might go from 80 to 100 and back to 80 in under an hour. It really happens, but you can't really tell unless you have lab-quality equipment or a CGMS.

So, look at the big picture... if it goes up +10 in a week it doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. Your fasting BG should be _around_ 70 to 80 if you don't have insulin resistance. But this varies for the reasons as described above.

Good luck.

Christine said...

Thanks for that!! Our fasting levels are above 100 right now. We are trying really hard to move that number down.

And I have def seen the variation you are talking about. I think we are still really trying to get the hang of it all.

OffTheCuff said...

Glad to help. The best way to track your progress is to throw out the highest and lowest outliers, and then average out your fasting levels over the last 10 readings. You'll see progress and not be sidetracked by meaningless blips.