Aiden won't be 5 until October. He technically doesn't qualify for kindergarten until next school year(if he was going). I've been debating over the summer whether or not I was going to just start him this year or wait until next. I think I have decided to put off the "formal" teaching until next year when I have a better handle and hopefully understanding of his behavioral needs. One more year to be carefree without having "education" crammed down his throat for the next 12 years. In the mean time we will at least be getting serious about writing the alphabet. His hand coordination with a pencil is still not the greatest. He seems to know his ABC's when he wants to! Numbers are also coming along nicely. Shapes and colors he has down. He also understands how a hydroponic system works, at least 3 different types of birds and multiple types of dog breeds. LOL. He can tell you about gun parts, tanks and helicopters. Aiden can tell you that all the corn being grown around us is going into dog food, corn syrup and other nasty food fillers as well. He even told his grandma so. He knows about many of the organs and body parts that make up the human body. He can tell you about the food chain as well.
I guess he may not be learning the fun and cute stuff they learn in a school environment, but he is learning relevant things to life. So one more year of non-traditional learning and then I will decide if we continue the path of un-schooling or move into a more book minded type of learning. Only Aiden can tell us what is going to teach him best. I love the flexibility keeping him out of the public system is going give him and to us.
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment