Saturday, May 8, 2010

Next time I would like to be given the option to have the door open to the left or to the right!

When we got here in October, Skip got us a washer and dryer since we didn't own a set.  We have a nice big laundry room and I have lots of space to get things done in there.  Well the owners of the house put in a pretty sweet cabinet system in the laundry room. It has a bar to hang clothes and hangers and places to keep everything.  The only problem with this is one cabinet gets in the way of the dryer door opening all the way.  It opens to the right, but is on the left and that leaves me hanging over the door trying to reach in and get all the clothes out.  It has been the biggest pain in the ass, but I have managed.  I just figured if I ever couldn't get in there I would just send Aiden in.  


Well today while I was getting up, close and personal with my dryer again I noticed what seemed to be 4 punch out, pre drilled holes.  Then I noticed a plastic piece covering a hole where the clip that holds the dryer shut would go if the door opened the OPPOSITE direction!  So I thought I was going to have to find someone to come here and punch these metal pieces out. I took a small flat head screw driver and saw the punch outs were actually plugs!!  Oh yes, I am a GENIUS! This new idea of dryer heaven had me all motivated.


I got my tools out and went to work.  At first I didn't think I was going to be able to get the door off because the screws were in so damn tight.  I had to push myself against the wall to get enough pressure to turn these screws without stripping them.  Once the door was off I had to study how I was going to change it around because the seal on the inside isn't just a circle, it's some weird oval/square shape.  I had to take the door apart to flip this piece around. or upside down or however you see it.  ANYWAYS, I got the door on screwed the hinges in and closed it, NOT.  I put the hinges on wrong.  I tried 3 different times to do this step and was getting nowhere.  The hinges have these double type holes on the top so that you can hang the door and screw it in.  


After long amounts of thinking I discovered the only thing that wasn't reversible was the damn hinges.  So I did not get to use the fun mounting holes cause they had to be upside down. What a pain in the ass that was.  I hope I don't ever have to do that again cause Skip will have to get his tools out to remove stripped screws!!!  


But hey, I can get in the dryer now.  

0 comments: