Saturday, July 10, 2010

My Boy is a Trooper

Aiden and his teeth have always been a bit of a "grey" area in my home.  Back in Colorado I was the ONLY person brushing and that wasn't nearly enough as I didn't have him all the time.  When he got here I could see his teeth were not the best, but at the time they didn't seem to be bugging him so we just upped the brushing routine.

We found a dentist in April and had to wait until the first week of May to see him and that point he said Aiden had a whole mouth full of issues.  He needed crowns, fillings and some teeth needed to have the rooted treated.  SCARY!  I felt like such an asshole.  Skip insists that it is not my fault, but I still feel like I should have done more.  Aiden was so bad for that appointment that his dentist recommended sleep dentist and said they would call when they had an appointment available.

We got one for early June, but Aiden ended up with a respiratory infection and could not go. So we got a new one for Yesterday, July 9th.  We have to drive to Topeka to see his dentist, but every mile and minute of the hour long drive is absolutely worth it.  These people in the office are amazing.  Jeff who was the anesthesiologist came out to talk to me once before poking Aiden with the initial dose of sedative.  That was a crazy experience. Aiden got all drowsy and looked at me and smiled and said, " Mommy, yea that's a good idea!"  His eyes couldn't even focus. Then Jeff came and took him from me.  Jeff's words to me were this, " I have a 10 year old, a 6 year old and a 10 month old. I am a father. For the next 3 hours Aiden is MY son and I will care for him with my life."  It was everything I could do to hold back tears of worry.  Once they got him back there all I heard was the worst scream for mommy any mother could possibly bare.  It took every fiber of my being to stay seated in that chair and not rush back there.  I had to remind myself they were the professionals and I had to place trust in them at this point, but it was still gut wrenching.

It wasn't much longer after that he was quiet and I could hear the drill going.  Amber, the nurse, came out to tell me he was well and Jeff had to give him more sedative to quiet him down.  He went out fighting like a wild animal.  That's Aiden.  When he was 6 months old he had gotten so sick that he actually started having fever seizures.  When I got him to the hospital he was so dehydrated and they really wanted to get an IV in him, but 3 nurses could not hold him down to do it.  He's a strong kid.

Anyways, 3 hours after they took him back they came to get me and I took him from Amber's arms for the wake up process.  He was all smiles. High fives to everyone and he even managed to pick a toy.  He got 5 crowns and 7 fillings and 2 places at the root had to be treated.  He woke up talking about food and the whole drive home he talked about food.  Everything from BBQ to pizza.  It was quite funny.  He couldn't walk for 4 hours after the procedure, but he sure knew he wanted to eat!

He has yet to complain about any pain.  There is no bleeding,bruising or swelling.  He took an extra long nap today, but that is about it.  He was out running with the dog this morning for a few hours too.  I would be whining and complaining if I had that much work done in one day!

Now we have an appointment with the Ear, Nose and Throat doctor to talk about the removal of his tonsils and adenoids.  He can hardly breath when he is sleeping and I have now been told by 3 medical professionals that his tonsils are some of the largest they have ever seen.  JOY.  Onward march I say.  July 19th I should know when that is going down!

1 comments:

Double Minded Man said...

5 crowns and 7 fillings and 2 places at the root

Holy cow Batman! Thats a lot of work.