Friday, July 23, 2010

When the "I told ya so" dance isn't a happy one

For a couple of years now I have been telling Mom she is coddling Chris and if she didn't stop something bad was going to happen.  I always got the "I know I know, but he is my kid" answer from her.  She supports hi, feeds him and bails him out of everything.  He typically treats her like crap in return, but some how she is convinced he isn't a capable adult.  I won't lie, I have received my fair share of help from Mom.  She likes to help, if only to make her self look better.  I've always paid her back and thanked her.  Skip now makes sure I don't need any help and I am doing quite fine.

Mom and I have had talks about what Chris will do if he isn't forced to take some responsibility for himself and she just puts it off like it can't possibly happen to her son.  We found out last month he was using heroin.  He drinks.  He blames everyone else.  He started rehab and relapsed last week.  Well Mom never kicked him out and never made him responsible.  She has been paying for his stuff with the help of his partners mother.  So she just taught him that he doesn't have to take care of his own issues.  Mommy will sweep in and make it all better.  Don't worry about the consequences of you actions.

So now she calls me and sounds completely miserable and in shock.  Sorry Mom, but I think I told you so.  I usually dance around and rub it in when I am right, but this is just a kick in her face without me doing that.  As to what she is doing with him now I do not know.  I can only hope she has learned so that he may actually learn to have some responsibility for himself.

0 comments: