Saturday, September 11, 2010

after 6 days, this is my assesment

Oreo has been here 6 days.  Here is a list of what's wrong with her:

Morbidly Obese- She has about 15-20 pounds to lose.  I don't have a weight on her from the vet, but the dog jiggles when she walks.  I can't feel her shoulders, her hips, her ribs.  Her spine is buried deep in there somewhere and it is bowing under the weight.

Joint Issues- I have been walking her for a half mile when I get done with Yoshi's 2 and I can tell you half thru this she starts showing signs of strain.   Her feet are totally flat.  She should be walking high on her pads.  Her knees are hyper-extending. Her gait is quite limited.  I cannot push her rear down into a sit position because it clearly causes pain.  She is also not able to move her head and tail in a full range of motion due to the fat.

Yeast-  They were feeding some crap brand from Walmart.  Loaded with corn.  She is showing symptoms of food intolerance.  Her ears and skin are caked with yeast growth.  The smell is terrible.  It's also caused her coat to be in less than optimal condition.

No Social Skills-  This is a big issue.  She is very timid. She doesn't like other dogs or the cat for that matter.  I have been able to have Yoshi in the house with her, but I cannot let them into the yard together.  It becomes a dangerous situation.

The good thing is her teeth are in great shape and her eyes are bright and clear.  Tonite I am taking her to the shop for a FULL groom.  All that dead hair is coming out and all that yeast is getting scrubbed off her skin.  Feet are getting trimmed and her butt is getting buzzed down too.  When she starts eating again she is gonna have the runs and I don't want to deal with dirty hair.

I am getting a joint/vitamin supplement to add to food when she does start eating as well.  I would imagine that the damage has already done and she will get arthritis quite early in life.

I am hoping to see a good improvement in overall health in about 30-60 days. I don't know what to expect as for as behavior goes.  I can say that a rescue more than likely would not take a dog like this and she would not be adoptable from a shelter.  It's a very sad situation and I feel bad for the dog.  I also feel for the other dogs that are following suite so long as they remain in the home they are in.   My hope is as I report progress in health that I may be able to have a positive influence and have some pushing power to at least get the dogs on a better diet.

Here's to doggy rehab.

0 comments: