I have been accused a few times of allowing myself to be owned because I haven't run out and inked myself up. I have been told it's my body and I have the right to do what ever the Hell I want to do to it. Yea, it's mine and I just never have for a few reasons. I could have run out like most 18 year olds and spent my last 50 bucks to have some garbage tattoo colored on me just because it was now "legal". Then 10 years later I would have looked at it and thought "what the hell was I thinking?". The opportunity never really came up for me at 18 because I never had 50 bucks to spare. When I did fall into some spare cash I could never really decide on something, so naturally I never went in. I had all kinds of wonderful stupid ideas Mushrooms, Care Bears, flowers, fish. You name it. But still I never got to it.
Then I left Thomas. I will say I believe there are many women who feel quite liberated after leaving their spouse and they run to the first person they can find with a needle and ink and they get something that "defines" their freedom. Something to remind them they belong to themselves and no one else. I didn't do that either. I had a baby to take care of, bills to pay and no spare time. And once again I could think of nothing that I wanted to live with for the rest of my life.
Then I met Skip. Skip hates tattoos. Hates them to the point that they make people unattractive. No matter how nicely the work is done. Tattoos used to brand people and that is still his line of thinking. I respect that. In the past 3 1/2 years I have known him I have had more than enough cash, more than enough time and the perfect idea that I could live with forever. But I don't do it. Not because he "owns" me or because I let him "control" me as some people will say, but because I respect his thoughts and opinions. My body is not just my body. I share it with him. So long as we remain together he also has a responsibility and claim to ownership just as much as I do to his. We have the right to ask each other to be more respectful of the one body we are given in this life. If we handle it recklessly then the results will effect the livelihood of the other and the relationship in general. It's not fair to the other person. I don't have a single problem telling him the things he is eating is hurting his insides and that it would be advisable to think about it. I don't have an issue telling him to go to the doctor to get something looked it. I do it for him and for me. I am affected. He will tell me to take better care of myself as well, it affects him. Period.
He has never once said, " NO, you may not get a tattoo." He has simply said he would prefer me not to because they are not attractive and scar my body. SO you know what, why on earth would I go out of my way to make myself less attractive? Relationship or not, as humans we are always playing the mating game. I am not about to mess up my game for a selfish want or idea. I am not going to go about inking myself up just because I can or because I think I am entitled to sole ownership of my body.
I guess maybe if I ever decide to marry myself I will be that selfish. Until then I will keep on sharing my unmarked body with a man who likes it to stay that way and gives me more respect for taking his feelings into consideration.
Saturday, September 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I agree with Skip, and you.
Maybe there are people who can pull off a tattoo. I'm not one of them, and I don't know anyone who can.
Maybe a sailor, but I think it's been a long time since tattoos were regarded as the badge of an old sea dog.
Post a Comment