Slowly for the last few months I have been thinking more and more about the possibility of home schooling Aiden. I have a very funny feeling that many of the things I believe will not be something the public school system supports. Further more I know for a fact private schools will not fair much better due to personal spiritual beliefs. So this leaves me feeling less then satisfied with my options.
Last month I picked up a Manhattan fall news letter and was quite surprised by the amount of events they had for home schooled children. They have a whole organization here that plans events for different subjects for different learning ages. I think if just this area has such a good group then bigger cities surely do.
I can always remember how bored I was in school and how I felt most of the things they taught raised more questions than they answered. In some places I excelled and needed to move on ahead of everyone else and in some I had struggles, but was left behind because the state mandated dates and schedules in which things needed to be done. I was home schooled for 2 years and those were the best schooling years I ever had. I was constantly challenged and never felt overworked or stressed. We were a part of a home schooling group that traded books and got together for extra learning. Where one parent wasn't as strong in one subject, another was.
When I got put back into school I was reading,writing doing math and had comprehension well above my peers. It made things hard. I ultimately dropped out of school to pursue an actual job. I wish my mom would have been able to take the time to continue schooling at home with us.
Hopefully as the beginning of the year nears and I prepare for Skip to come home, I can start introducing some simple curriculum into my home. I hope that I can give Aiden an education that isn't controlled by the politics of a public system. I want Aiden to be able to ask as many questions about the world as he can and never be told there isn't an answer. I do not want to be forced to deal with the same dilemmas my parents had to while I was in school. The teachers will like my answers much less.
Thursday, September 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment